JERUSALEM – After three weeks traveling through the U.S. — speaking, doing media interviews, participating in a wide range of meetings, and having the opportunity to attend the signing of the Abraham Accords at the White House — I am finally back home in Jerusalem.
And yes, I’m in quarantine again — third time this year — due to Israeli law, not because I have any COVID symptoms.
That said, I wanted to share with you two articles I have written for ALL ISRAEL NEWS, because they are relevant to tonight’s must-see and high-stakes debate. (yes, I plan to get up at 4am here in Israel to watch the debate live.)
Also, below, I’ve written an update on the COVID situation here in Israel.
1. Attention shifts to VP Pence as Trump contracts life-threatening virus, enters quarantine — I was with the VP on Thursday in Des Moines. Here’s my extended report on how he is doing and what he said before the news of Trump’s health broke.
2. Must-See TV: Never in history has a vice presidential debate been so consequential — With Trump battling COVID and Biden turning 78, the showdown between Mike Pence and Kamala Harris will draw heightened attention. Is one of them a soon-to-be American president?
Here are a few excerpts of the second article:
On Wednesday night, the eyes of Israelis, Arabs and people all over the world will be on Vice President Mike Pence and Sen. Kamala Harris as they square off for the most important, consequential and high-stakes vice presidential debate in American history.
- The debate will begin on Oct. 7 at 9 p.m. eastern time.
- It will be held at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.
- It will be moderated by Susan Page of USA Today.
- Watch online by clicking here.
In a typical year, scant attention is paid to vice presidential debates.
But 2020 is no typical year.
Threats Facing President Trump
The leader of the free world, and Israel’s most important ally – President Donald J. Trump – has contracted COVID-19.
Given that the virus has taken the lives of more than 1 million people worldwide, including more than 200,000 Americans and a rising number of Israelis (see below), many wonder if – and some fear that – Trump could succumb to the virus, suddenly elevating Pence to the presidency…..
Threats Facing Joe Biden
So far, Joe Biden – the Democrat presidential nominee and former vice president – has remained COVID-free.
Biden has been extra careful – he routinely wears a mask, and has severely limited his exposure to crowds, doing minimal public campaigning or even media interviews since the pandemic erupted in March, despite widespread criticism.
The reason is clear enough: When it comes to the threat of the coronavirus, Biden is, like Trump, also in a highly vulnerable category.
He will turn 78 years old on Nov. 20. If elected, he would be the oldest first-term president in American history ever to take the oath of office….Not surprisingly, Americans are becoming increasingly interested in Biden’s vice presidential nominee, Kamala Harris….
I do hope you’ll read both stories in full, including the prayer requests listed at the bottom of the second article.
Update: COVID Catastrophe In Israel
The COVID-19 crisis in Israel remains out of control.
Here’s what to watch this week:
- Nine million Israelis remain in full national lockdown, as they have throughout the last few weeks of the High Holidays.
- Yet still, the death toll is soaring.
- Last week, I noted that more Israelis have died from the coronavirus (1,507 people) than from all the wars and terror attacks for the last 20 years (1,411 people).
- Since then, another 250 Israelis have died from COVID, bringing the death toll to 1,757 people.
- Meanwhile, another 273,826 Israelis have tested positive for COVID, of which 875 are considered serious cases.
As you pray for the peace of Jerusalem, please pray for the health of all Israelis. Please pray for a quick and full recovery for all Israelis who are battling the virus.
And please pray, too, for the comfort of those who have lost loved ones due to the virus during this crazy, cruel year.
(photo credits: All Israel News, Reuters and Flash 90)
• Would you be willing to make a special, secure, tax deductible donation to The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net)? At this unprecedented moment of crisis, would you help us bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, strengthen the Church in the Epicenter, care for the poor and needy and those unemployed and shut-in’s in Israel (both Jews and Arabs) with food and other humanitarian relief, teach the Word of God, answer spiritual questions, and strengthen struggling congregations and ministries in the Epicenter? The Joshua Fund is a member in good standing of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability. Please click here to learn more. Thanks.