“Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written: “For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.” 37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:35-39)
The love of Christ: This is a vast topic of which it is not my purpose in this writing/study to delve too deeply; suffice me to mention these proofs: Creation, Incarnation, and Crucifixion/Salvation. These are the ultimate expressions of God’s love for man.
However, my aim is to speak to the question: Who or what shall separate us from His love?
In his attempt to show Christians that nothing can separate us from the love of Christ, the Apostle Paul addresses ten things that will fail to do so. Allow me to speak a few words of each.
- “Death” —Death divides or separates friends or families; it often destroys homes. However, for the Believer, death is merely a pathway that leads to the eternal presence of God. In that sense, death only serves to enhance eternal life to its fullest. Death in all its ugliness cannot separate us from the love of Christ Jesus!
- “Life” —Life is the opposite of death. The Christian enjoys eternal life which is held tightly in our Father’s hands. Life, for the Believer, cannot sever God’s love.
- “Angels” —Angels are also created beings which have great strength. Satan is a fallen angel, but Paul assures us that no angel can separate us from God’s love.
- “Principalities” —The principal powers of darkness (wicked evil spirits) which manifest themselves through men cannot separate us from the love of Christ. All the meanness of persecution against God’s Church (Believers) cannot overpower the love of God in Christ Jesus. The roll call of the heroes of faith in Hebrews chapter 11, and recorded throughout history by Foxes Book of Martyrs and other writings concerning acts of violent Christian persecution, proves that the hands of Christ are strong to hold and strengthen in acts of war against us.
- “Powers” —No power, be they physical, mental, or spiritual, can come between the Believer and his God. Because we Believers are in the hands of the God Who is Power, there is none which can overpower the All Powerful One.
- “Things Present” —This includes anything that exists in this present age. Nothing exists that can interfere with you, Believer, experiencing the on-going love of Christ.
- “Things to Come” —There are things in the future of which we know nothing about. Paul is saying in essence, do not fear the future. Nothing can come which will have power over the All Powerful One.
- “Height” —We haven’t even come close to the end of the Universe which God has created. Go as high as you can and you will never find anything to separate you being in Christ from His love.
- “Depth” —Go to the deepest place in the deepest ocean; go to the very bottom of Hell itself, and you will not find anything, being or substance, that will nullify God’s abundant love for His own.
- “Nor Any Other Creature” —Are you convinced yet, Paul seems to ask? Just in case he has overlooked anything that a doubter might ask, he adds this last category. All of God’s creation is included in Paul’s assuring promise given to him for us by the Holy Spirit. He leaves nothing out. Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ!
Oh Beloved, not even the worst case scenario of these present elections here in America can separate you from the love, and all the eternal promises, of your Redeemer. If anything, your faith, trust, and witness is on display before all your family, friends, and neighbors to observe. Will your life give hope, assurance, even salvation to any? Church, Pray On!