This excerpt is taken, edited and expanded, from what I talked about on 10/16/2016 before I taught on Romans 4:1-12.
The following list, taken from NBC News, is a list of things we need to be aware of on this election (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/eight-issues-could-shape-politics-2016-n456671):
1. The Economy and Jobs
2. Terrorism/Foreign Policy
3. Federal Deficit and budget
4. Wall Street/Equality
5. Health Care
7. Environment and Global Warming
The things that should also be included are:
- This Presidential Term will have the opportunity to replace up to 4 Supreme Court Justices
- Racial Tensions
Let’s take a look at these issues and see if we can understand the way we should truly vote. This Election has cause so much division and we are getting away from the facts on the table. Our vote should be based more on results and not on emotions or if a particular candidate has a terrible personality or not.
- The economy and jobs. It is sad times we are living in when we see our National Debt is around 20 Trillion dollars and climbing. (https://www.usdebtclock.org/) There is no reason for this. Instead of looking to cut fat and looking to set a budget that makes sense, we have borrowed money to carry us through. The problem is that we keep borrowing with no plan to pay it back.
I think about the Egyptians, and the world around them, during Joseph’s time (Genesis 41-47). They had 7 years of abundance where, Joseph, wisely told them to put a fifth of what was harvested away, to prepare for the 7 years of famine. They had grain/food to carry them through the years of famine.
The kicker? They, individually, did not prepare financially, during the time of abundance, so, in the end, they sold themselves as slaves, after they sold all they had to include their land, to buy grain/food to survive on. Do you suppose this is why in the Bible it says that the debtor is slave to the lender (Proverbs 22:7)?
We are essentially selling our land and eventually our freedom to someone to carry this excess debt. I have heard it said that Our Grandchildrens’ grandchildren will still be paying for this ungodly debt.
The other part of this has to do with the amount/lack of jobs available. Our unemployment rate is higher than recorded. Experts are saying that many do not report unemployment anymore because of the following reasons:
A. They are in school
B. Their financial benefits ran out
C. They are drawing Welfare
D. They are working under the table
E. They are getting help from family/friends
F. The process of filing or continuing on is so drawn out that they give up.
I believe that we are in times where people refuse to take jobs, that may not pay much, because they are afraid they will not be able to accept a job that is paying more. There are many service/blue collar jobs that are not being filled. Many of these are offering higher paying wages and benefits to fill the open positions. I know the process to look can be hard and discouraging, however, the benefits payoff in the long run. I have been through this process many times and still see many jobs advertised as I help encourage others to get out and look.
2. Terrorism/foreign policy. I cannot express enough how disappointed I am in the current administration. To go and apologize for our actions from the past, when, we were called to action to help protect others from being enslaved or worse. When we, who were once the greatest nation on Earth, could and would help those in need. And now recently making deals with those who hate us so much that they want to eliminate us.
I am referring to Islamic countries. Do your research. Don’t bury your head in the sand. Islam, in it’s truest form, wants to eliminate anyone who is not a true follower of the teachings. I know some will say that Christianity is the same way, however, Christianity in it’s truest form brings love.
3. Federal Deficit and Budget. I have touched on this already but, really who is doing the accountability of those setting the budget? Do you know that according to our Constitution, We The People are to hold those in office accountable for their actions? How many have truly read The Constitution, The Amendments and The Bill of Rights? We have to be more involved, not just come and elect someone and stay silent. And again, what is the plan to pull us out of debt?
4. Wall Street/Income Equality. Do we really need to pay someone who flips hamburgers at McDonalds $15 an hour, which is what some who have accounting degrees, who went to school for this and spent thousands of dollars to get their degree, start off with?
I remember when I worked at Burger King and places like it making minimum wage, and thinking, I need to do something to improve my situation. It gave me the determination to get educated, talk to others to find ways to improve my skills, etc. In other words, I earned what I made, not expecting a handout. If this issue is pushed, there were be no incentive for anyone to acquire the skills needed to become a lawyer, CPA, etc. Instead, what we would see is the Government assigning us our jobs. Imagine being stuck in a job, you despise, and you can’t take a different position, because you are forced in this by the Government. Almost like slavery.
5. Health Care. Just take a look at what we have now. Prior to this forced health care system, there were people who could not afford health care. Now, it has gotten so expensive that many businesses have either had to shut down or cut hours for their employees because they can not afford to pay into the healthcare system. Not only that, if you don’t have healthcare, maybe you choose not to have it, you are fined. In fact, for those who have it, the costs have risen over the last several years to almost where they cannot afford it. (Sounds like socialism to me. Do you really want to know how that works? Go to a country like China to see. They cannot even worship the way they choose to.)
6. Immigration. I believe that yes, the majority of our country is made of immigrants. Even some of my ancestors are immigrants. However, let’s look at how our immigration system works. People are coming into our country more and more, illegally. It could be because of jobs, safety, less chance of going to prison, etc. Do you realize that these people are being taken advantage of? They fear of being deported back to where they come from so, they choose to work for companies that will pay them sweat factory wages. They take more abuse because they do not want to have to face deportation. On top of which, those who do qualify to work legally, have no work because of those who work for almost nothing.
How about those who are facing criminal charges? Do we really want to allow more criminals in our country? My family and I had the privilege of going to Ellis Island. We reviewed the history of how people processed to come into our country. Yes, things have changed, maybe for the better in some areas and maybe for the worse in others. However, background checks was one of the things that were done. This prevented anyone escaping justice from coming into our country.
With improved immigration facilitation, it will not only keep our country safe, it will also keep those who come in safe as well. It will give them the rights they deserve, if they do it right. (Side note, a wall between us and Mexico will help prevent terrorists from entering into our country. Look at the evidence presented during the trials of those caught from the 9-11 attacks. Most came in through Mexico)
7. Environment and Global Warming. I just shake my head at this. It has been proven over and over that Global Warming is a farce created by Al Gore. This so he can make more money.
Here’s a Forbes article on this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhendrickson/2012/09/16/climate-change-hoax-or-crime-of-the-century/#7264d7921458
8. Guns. Why oh why does this keep coming up during elections? Because crime is on the rise. Because many think that disarming people will reduce crime. Well, that’s what some would have you believe. In fact, countries that have no gun laws have increased in crimes. (https://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2014/09/24/how-gun-control-made-england-the-most-violent-country-in-europe/)
The second amendment states: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” (emphasis mine)
Do you see what this says? It what written so that we could be armed to defend our freedoms.
Now for my added points:
- Abortion. Let’s just call this what it is, premeditated murder. Why do I say that?
Answer: Jeremiah 1:5 (NKJV): “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”
Quite simply, God says He knows us before we are even formed. Also, if you think about the process of abortion, it really is a form of murder. (I won’t go into details about this but, you can go here to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFZDhM5Gwhk )
Also, do you realize the long term affects of abortion? I won’t go into lengthy details but you can go here to see: https://www.familydoctormag.com/sexual-health/1570-abortion-after-effects.html
And here: https://www.abortionfacts.com/reardon/the-after-effects-of-abortion
Quite frankly, this has affects not just on the woman, who can suffer from depression, anxiety, anger or more, but also on the family that is involved, including the dad. (https://www.postabortionpaths.org.nz/MenAbortion/EffectsMen.asp)
Also, if you look to see how many abortions are done over a year’s time, you would have to ask yourself, how many children missed out on life? How many families missed out on the child(ren) that were killed? Maybe even, how many of them would have had cures for diseases or solved our deficit? (https://www.womenscenter.com/abortion_stats.html)
2. This Presidential Term will have the opportunity to replace up to 4 Supreme Court Justices. Do you realize that we can make a difference with who is placed in the Supreme Court? Isn’t it better to remove those who went vogue and enabled laws? Let’s get someone who not only will be in line with their job, but also hold our same values.
3. Racial tensions. I cannot believe on how we have receded back to the times when this was an issue. During my short time on this planet, I saw much growth towards healing. It seems that since this current POTUS has been in office, he has done everything he can to cause a divide rather that bring healing. If there was true healing to happen, he would have brought everyone to the table and discussed how we become united. There is that old quote, “United We Stand, Divided We Fall”. Isn’t this something to show how we are being torn apart?
When I read Romans 13, I see that we are to pray for our leaders and to obey, up to where they would want us to disobey God. I get not only from this passage but from others, that we have a moral obligation to vote. We need to get out there and do the research on those who are running, see where they truly stand, look at their past history on getting results done, good, bad, and indifferent, and pray and ask God for direction on who we should vote for. Yes, not one of whom is running is the perfect person, however, instead of looking at whom is the lesser evil, look at whom is the greater good. Do your research, pray, and vote! Let’s bring healing to our land!
2 Chronicles 7:14 (NKJV): if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
Let’s pray for a Revival to happen in our land and in our leaders!
Until Next Time:
Ezekiel 37 (NKJV): The hand of the Lord came upon me and brought me out in the Spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley; and it was full of bones. 2 Then He caused me to pass by them all around, and behold, there were very many in the open valley; and indeed they were very dry. 3 And He said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?”
So I answered, “O Lord God, You know.”
4 Again He said to me, “Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, ‘O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! 5 Thus says the Lord God to these bones: “Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live. 6 I will put sinews on you and bring flesh upon you, cover you with skin and put breath in you; and you shall live. Then you shall know that I am the Lord.”’”
7 So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and suddenly a rattling; and the bones came together, bone to bone. 8 Indeed, as I looked, the sinews and the flesh came upon them, and the skin covered them over; but there was no breath in them.
9 Also He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live.”’” 10 So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army.
11 Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, ‘Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!’ 12 Therefore prophesy and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, O My people, I will open your graves and cause you to come up from your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. 13 Then you shall know that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves, O My people, and brought you up from your graves. 14 I will put My Spirit in you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I, the Lord, have spoken it and performed it,” says the Lord.’”