AMERICA NEEDS A JOSIAH — Why an ancient Jewish king provides a powerful model for the next American President.
* Why is the Iran nuclear deal so dangerous?
* Is ISIS using chemical weapons?
* THE FIRST HOSTAGE novel releases Dec 29.
By Joel C. Rosenberg (@joelcrosenberg on Twitter)
(Washington, D.C., August 18, 2015) — As the presidential campaign season heats up, Americans are trying to get to know the many candidates in both parties and determine who would be best to lead America in 2017 and beyond. Who has the right character, vision, and detailed, substantive, serious plans for reform? Who has the wisdom, experience and sound judgment? Who is ready for the enormous and complicated challenges facing this great country?
Choosing the right leader is not an easy process, but it is vitally important. After all, America is on the wrong track. We are going in the wrong direction. We are in deep trouble as a nation, heading steadily — perhaps rapidly — towards implosion. We’ve murdered 57 million babies. Five Justices on the Supreme Court have decided that the Bible is wrong and they know better what marriage should be. We’re taken on $18 trillion in debt with no end in sight. We are surrendering to Iran and ISIS. Our tax code is corruptingly complex and killing jobs and opportunity. We can’t — or won’t — control our sovereign borders. Our schools are a mess. Violence, drugs and pornography is epidemic. Sadly, the list goes on and on.
So who can get us turned around and heading in the right direction? I’ve been praying about this and studying the Scriptures for many months, asking the Lord for clarity. And here is what I have concluded.
America needs a Josiah.
A President cannot save America from all our troubles, but leadership matters. We need a leader like the one-time King of Judah whom the Bible describes as one of the most humble, strong, wise and impressive leaders of all-time. Last week, at the Word of Life Bible camp in the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate New York, I taught a five-day series of messages titled, “Living Like Jeremiah In A Time of Coming Judgment.” It was a survey of the life and times and ministry of the ancient Hebrew prophet Josiah. I’ll post more notes from those messages in the days ahead. But on Day #2, I taught about the first of five kings Jeremiah served under. His name was Josiah and his story, I believe, is one that offers great hope. So I posted these notes first.
I hope you’ll take a moment and read through these notes on the blog, and read through the accounts of King Josiah in 2 Kings and 2 Chronicles. At the end of these notes, you’ll see some of my “final thoughts” about how I believe the life and lessons of Josiah apply to our time and this presidential campaign. I hope you find this helpful. Please feel free to share with others.
IS ISIS NOW USING CHEMICAL WEAPONS? — U.S. intelligence officials believe that jihadists operating under the direction of the Islamic State have not only captured chemical weapons — most likely in Syria — but have actually used such weapons of mass destruction on the battlefield. They are also investigating the possibility that ISIS is mass producing such weapons and asking where will ISIS strike next?
I realize this seems like the plot of my most recent novel — The Third Target — and its forthcoming sequel (The First Hostage, to be released on December 29th). But this isn’t fiction. Unfortunately, this is all too real. Read the latest details on the blog.
WHY IS THE IRAN DEAL SO DANGEROUS? — I have finished reading the 159-page Iran nuclear deal, known as the “Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action” (or JCPOA), as well as numerous analyses by various Middle East think tanks, and I’ve consulted with a number of Mideast experts, nuclear experts, and former senior U.S. government officials.
Here’s my conclusion: this deal is insane.
That may not be the most diplomatic way to put it, but I’m afraid that’s the truth. The deal doesn’t live up to the very “red lines” that President Obama and his team set. The deal doesn’t end Iran’s nuclear program — it legalizes, legitimizes, expands it. The deal provides Iran not just one but two paths to The Bomb — in 10 to 15 years if Iran keeps the agreement, and much sooner if Iran cheats.
The details inside the deal are absolutely stunning — and catastrophically dangerous for the U.S., Israel and our Sunni Arab neighbors. I’ve posted my analysis on the blog.
The American people and their representatives in Congress must do everything possible to stop this deal from becoming U.S. law.
PRAYER NEEDS — please pray for….
* A Third Great Awakening — a sweeping spiritual revival — in the U.S. and Canada.
* The peace of Jerusalem — geopolitical but also spiritual peace through the Prince of Peace
* The Palestinian people in Gaza to be liberated from the reign of terror imposed by Hamas and other terrorist groups
* Israeli, Egyptian and Jordanian leaders to have wisdom to know how best to protect their citizens going forward and live in quiet and calm with their neighbors
* The President of the United States and his top advisors to have a change of heart and to truly stand unequivocally with Israel, America’s best friend and most faithful ally in the Mideast
* The President and other nations to know how best to prevent Iran from building nuclear weapons, defeat ISIS and stop the genocide, and prevent terror attacks on the U.S. and our allies
* Persecuted in Christians throughout the epicenter to be brave and bold for Christ and faithful lights amidst such darkness
* The protection of moderate Arabs and other Muslims in the region from Radical Islam, particularly in Jordan
* The Lord to strengthen His Church and reveal His Word and the transforming power of the Gospel to all the people of the epicenter, and that the Father would draw them to His Son
* The Joshua Fund to have the wisdom to bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, as the Lord guides and provides
* TWITTER — Please track the latest developments @joelcrosenberg.
BLESS ISRAEL & HER NEIGHBORS: Would you prayerfully consider giving a generous, tax-deductible gift to THE JOSHUA FUND? Come help us educate and mobilize Christians around the world about God’s love and plan Israel and her neighbors; provide food, medical supplies and other humanitarian relief to the poor and needy, to Holocaust survivors, and to widows and orphans; teach the Scriptures throughout Israel and the epicenter; strengthen the Church in the epicenter; and assist ministries helping Syrian & Iraqi refugees. Thanks so much, and may the Lord bless you and your family as you invest in the work of The Joshua Fund at this critical time. (www.joshuafund.com)
To pre-order THE FIRST HOSTAGE (releasing on 12/29/15) in hardcover, e-book, and audio formats, please click here (or visit your favorite bookstore).
To read Joel’s blog, please click here — https://flashtrafficblog.wordpress.com/
JOIN US ON A PRAYER & VISION TRIP TO THE HOLY LAND: To learn more, and to register, please click here
To order your copy of THE THIRD TARGET — about an NYT reporter who uncovers an ISIS plot to use chemical weapons — please click here.