the paralytic is a wonderful story. But it is more than just a story.
There are lessons to be learned.
A. THE POWER OF CHRIST TO FORGIVE SINS…
1. On earth, Jesus demonstrated His power to forgive sins
a. Not only in the case of the paralytic – Mk 2:5,10-11
b. But also with the woman who washed and anointed His feet
– Lk 7:44-48
c. And for the thief on the cross – Lk 23:39-43
2. From heaven, Jesus continues to have power to forgiven sins
a. Made possible by the shedding of His blood – Mt 26:28; Ep 1:7
b. Offered to those who respond to His gospel –
38; 10:42-43; 22:16
c. Ever available to those who walk with God – 1Jn 1:7,9
— Have we looked to Jesus for the forgiveness of our sins?
B. THE PRECIOUSNESS OF FRIENDS WITH FAITH…
1. The paralytic was blessed with friends with faith
a. Jesus saw “their faith” – Mk 2:5
b. Evidenced by their great effort to assist their paralyzed
c. Without them, the paralytic would have been unable to come
2. Do we have and appreciate friends with faith?
a. In His church, Jesus provides us with many friends with
b. Brethren ready to assist and serve us in time of need
c. Does our involvement in the local church indicate that we
appreciate such friends? – cf. He 10:24-25
d. If a brother is in need, can they rely on our faith? – e.g.,
faith with them!
C. THE PRIVILEGES SO EASILY SQUANDERED…
1. The miracle occurred in the city of Capernaum
a. Described as Jesus’ “own city” – Mt 9:1
b. There He did many wonderful works
1) Healed the centurion’s servant – Mt 8:5-13
2) Healed Peter’s mother-in-law – Mt 8:14-15
3) Cast out many spirits in the demon-possessed – Mt 8:16
4) From Cana He healed the nobleman’s son at Capernaum – Jn 4:46-54
c. Yet those in the city brought judgment upon themselves – cf.
2. Have we squandered our privileges?
a. Living in a country where God’s Word is freely accessible?
b. Blessed to be near a congregation of fellow Christians?
c. Having many opportunities to grow and serve in the work of
d. “…For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will
be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him
they will ask the more.” – Lk 12:48
1. The healing of the paralytic reveals a man…
a. Who was in need
b. Who was blessed with good friends
c. Who was forgiven of his sins by Jesus Christ
2. We all are like that paralyzed man…
a. With needs only Jesus can fulfill
b. Who needs forgiveness that only Jesus has power to bestow
c. With friends of faith willing to help
But are we like the paralyzed man in regards to faith? His faith led to
Jesus fulfilling his needs. May we have the same faith today…!